Before you pack your belongings into storage, you need to get them ready. From cleaning to taking inventory, here’s how to best prepare.
If you haven’t used something in a while or no longer want an item don’t waste money storing it. Sell it or donate it to someone who will make better use of the item.
Clean everything that’s going into storage
Before you put things into storage make sure they are clean. Why is this important? If you store something while it’s dirty, it’s only going to be worse for wear when you unpack it two, four, or twelve months later. Over time things that are stored dirty can acquire a musty smell, and stains can damage fabrics. A thorough cleaning will ensure that items don’t deteriorate while in storage.
- Wash clothes and linens then store them in plastic bags to prevent mold and mildew.
- Vacuum out the crevasses and wipe all furnishings then use an appropriate protective spray on leather and fabric upholstery. Wax wood furniture.
- Wipe the inside and outside of appliances. If applicable, run a final wash cycle with vinegar. If you are storing a washer, make sure all tanks and hoses are drained. For fridges and freezers add a moisture absorbent substance like charcoal to help prevent odors. Check your local appliance stores for any other help or suggestions. https://bit.ly/3MPScxa
- Wipe all sporting goods and kids’ toys including plush toys. Store plush toys in plastic bags.
Inventory what you’re storing
While you are cleaning your belongings, write down what’s going to be stored. Why is this important? An inventory will help you determine what size storage unit you need and how to organize that storage unit.
- Our storage calculator web page allows you to enter an inventory of your belongings and calculates what size storage unit you need. You can also email this list to yourself right from our storage calculator page.
- Add a brief description including the item’s brand, serial number, model number, and if there is any damage to your inventory list.
- Email a copy of your inventory list to your property insurance agent and advise them that you are putting these items into storage. This will help ensure that you have coverage for these possession’s and speed up the claims process should disaster make this necessary.
Make sure you get the right size of storage unit
Our easy-to-use storage calculator does the math for you. Once you’ve entered an inventory of your possessions into the calculator the graph on the right side of this web page tells you what size storage unit you need. You can then go ahead and book your storage unit either by clicking on the Rent Now button on our website, or if you need help you can call us and talk to someone in our office.
- Right now, we are experiencing high demand for storage units and have a waiting list for many sizes. Renting online allows you to quickly see and rent any size that is available. This is kind of like a gamer’s cheat code for self-storage. If the size you want isn’t available don’t give up. People come and go from self-storage units daily. So, call our office and get on the waitlist right away.
Now you will need to pack your belongings. How you pack an item determines how well it survives a move, storage and then being unpacked.
Head over to our YouTube channel to see us packing up Sues china into the properly made boxes and inserts.
Watch for our next blog — How to pack your belongings like a pro so they are in good condition when you take them out of storage.